Monday, August 24, 2009

Working as designed

I was pondering recently why it can be so hard for a large firm to innovate successfully. Too often it seems we are trying to graft an innovation capability or process on top of existing teams and workflows. While these grafted processes can work effectively for a short time, while the white hot focus of management is felt, often these grafted processes wither and die if not constantly renewed and refreshed. Then it hit me. I'd just finished reading and reviewing Design Driven Innovation by Roberto Verganti. His thesis is that innovation should be driven, even led, by design. Innovation efforts often feel grafted on because the organization is working as it was designed to.

Many of my larger clients are Fortune 1000 firms that have well defined business teams and processes. After a round of Total Quality Management, Six Sigma and Lean in the 80s and 90s, these processes and workflows are well documented and highly efficient. Add to the fact that many firms have grown without adding headcount, and the processes are maxed out in terms of throughput and efficiency. There's little more work that can be added. Now, attempt to introduce a concept or process that requires change, risk, failure and uncertainty, that seeks to "hit a home run" when all the other processes seek to hit consistent singles and doubles and never make an error (sorry about the baseball analogy). Not only does innovation violate the "designed" process, it adds new work that conflicts with existing standards and norms. Innovation efforts, in most cases, are added to a fully engaged workforce in opposition to existing standards and processes.

So, if many firms have difficulty innovating because of existing expectations and designed processes, is the opposite also true? Do firms that innovate successfully have well designed innovation programs that are part of the fabric of how they work? In general the answer is "yes" with the caveat that every innovator has its own methods and approaches. Apple, for example, innovates from the top down in a very structured process informed by user design and experience. WL Gore, on the other hand, innovates from the bottom up and from specific capabilities or technologies. P&G, as a third example, has shifted from a completely internal R&D organization to one that receives 50% of its ideas from outside. Talk about a significant change of design and process! Each of these firms is innovative, and each has a defined, designed process for innovation success, and each process or design is different.

What's important to realize is that innovation can be designed into your organization, into the processes and expectations of the employees. Rather than "graft" on an innovation process, if your team seeks consistent innovation over time, seek to design in the innovation capability. Your innovation methods and process and how it impacts your organization can and will be unique to your firm. There are no "best practices" yet, and quite possibly there won't be, as innovation means so many different things to so many different firms and people.

Rather than fight the existing systems to innovate, why not consider designing the innovation processes and methods into the structure of how the business works?
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
posted by Jeffrey Phillips at 5:31 AM

21 Comments:

Anonymous cholesterol lowering foods said...

Its Pleasure to undergo your weblog.The above content articles may be very outstanding, and I genuinely loved reading your blog and points which you expressed. I get pleasure from to appear again on the standard basis,put up far more concerning the topic.Thanks for sharing…keep writing!!!

1:41 AM  
Anonymous anti cellulite cream said...

Its Pleasure to undergo your weblog.The above content articles may be very outstanding, and I genuinely loved reading your blog and points which you expressed. I get pleasure from to appear again on the standard basis,put up far more concerning the topic.Thanks for sharing…keep writing!!!

1:42 AM  
Anonymous genital warts cream review said...

Hey!, Very fascinating angle, we had been talking about the same factor at work and located your web site very stimulating. So simply had to com-ment an enormous thanks for all your effort. Please sustain the nice work your doing!

1:42 AM  
Anonymous lower back pain treatment said...

I can't cease reading this.It truly is so nice, so full of info that i just didn't know.I am lucky to view that guests are in truth speaking about this drawback in this type of a clever strategy, displaying us all many different. You're one nice blogger. Please maintain it up. I cannot wait to go through what’s next.

1:42 AM  
Anonymous anxiety treatment said...

We're a gaggle of volunteers and beginning a new initiative in a community. Your blog offered us useful data to work on. You might have finished a marvellous job!

1:42 AM  
Anonymous blemish removal said...

I’ve been searching for a while for any good content material articles in relation to this explicit level . Searching in Yahoo and google I lastly came upon this url. After reading this submit I am delighted to say that I get a beautiful uncanny feeling I stumbled upon the very issues I used to be looking for. I most actually will make certain to don’t forget this blog and have a look consistently.

1:43 AM  
Anonymous diabetes treatment said...

Hey, my group is simply establishing our first web site, looking out and figuring out what's needed. This weblog stuck out right away. I’m fired up about this, and adore the design of your site. Can you let me know what “theme” it is?

1:43 AM  
Anonymous acid reflux diet said...

Hey - good blog, just looking round some blogs, appears a pretty nice platform you might be using. I’m presently using WordPress for a couple of of my websites but seeking to change one in all them over to a platform much like yours as a trial run. Anything specifically you would advocate about it?

1:43 AM  
Anonymous treatment for insomnia said...

After studying this posting, I contemplated the exact same level that I invariably surprise about when scanning new blogs and forums. Just what do I take into consideration this? Exactly how should it impact me? This and extra posts in your weblog right right here certainly give some stuff to look at. I essentially ended up here by way of Yahoo after I was very first doing some web study for some course perform that I have. At all times superb instances looking by means of and I’m hopeful that you will keep on writing new posts. Cheers!

1:43 AM  
Anonymous natural hemorrhoids remedies said...

Great factors…I would notice that as someone who actually doesn’t comment to blogs a lot (actually, this can be my first submit), I don’t think the time period “lurker” may be very flattering to a non-posting reader. It’s not your fault at all, but perhaps the blogosphere may come up with a better, non-creepy name for the ninety% of us that enjoy reading the posts.

1:44 AM  
Anonymous sinus infection relief said...

I can not cease reading this.It really is so great, so full of info that i just didn't know.I'm fortunate to view that guests are in actual fact speaking about this downside in this type of a intelligent strategy, displaying us all many different. You're one great blogger. Please maintain it up. I cannot wait to go through what’s next.

1:44 AM  
Anonymous excessive sweating treatment said...

I’ve been searching for a while for any nice content articles in relation to this particular point . Looking out in Yahoo and google I lastly discovered this url. After studying this post I'm delighted to say that I get an exquisite uncanny feeling I stumbled upon the very issues I used to be looking for. I most actually will make sure to don’t forget this blog and take a look consistently.

1:44 AM  
Anonymous asthma remedy said...

Hey - nice blog, simply wanting around some blogs, appears a pretty nice platform you're using. I’m presently using WordPress for a few of my websites but seeking to change one among them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run. Something specifically you'd suggest about it?

1:44 AM  
Anonymous how to stop snoring said...

Thanks very a lot for this flawless post;this is the phrases that keeps me on track via out the day. I have been looking around in your site after I heard about them from a buddy and was thrilled after I was capable of finding it after looking for lengthy time. Being a avid blogger, I’m glad to see others taking initivative and contributing to the community. Just wished to comment to point out my appreciation for your website as it is extremely challenging to do, and lots of writers do not get credit score they deserve. I'm positive I’ll go to again and will unfold the word to my friends.

1:44 AM  
Anonymous cholesterol lowering foods said...

Its Pleasure to undergo your weblog.The above content articles is very outstanding, and I genuinely loved reading your weblog and points which you expressed. I enjoy to appear again on the standard foundation,publish way more about the topic.Thanks for sharing…maintain writing!!!

1:45 AM  
Anonymous colon cleanse recipes said...

Hello Webmaster, commenters and everyone else !!! The weblog was absolutely incredible! Lots of great information and inspiration, both of which all of us need!Hold ‘em coming… you all do such an excellent job at such Concepts… can’t let you know how a lot I, for one respect all you do!

1:45 AM  
Anonymous constipation medication said...

Hey - good blog, just looking around some blogs, appears a reasonably nice platform you might be using. I’m currently using WordPress for a number of of my websites however trying to change certainly one of them over to a platform much like yours as a trial run. Anything particularly you'll suggest about it?

1:45 AM  
Anonymous tendonitis remedy said...

Wonderful publish from professional additionally it is going to probably be an exquisite know-find out how to us and thank you a lot for posting this valuable info with us all.

1:46 AM  
Anonymous sinus infection home remedy said...

Wonderful post from professional additionally it would probably be a beautiful know-how you can us and thank you a large number for posting this valuable data with us all.

1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for this time sharing of innovation about WORKING AS DESIGNED. This is really the best website about innovation i have ever read.
stop pre ejaculation

9:40 PM  
Blogger felicity said...

I think your blog is really insightful...
home treatments for hemorrhoids

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home